What SBT is responsible for as your internet service provider:
- We will fix or replace anything related to these items free of charge
- The equipment on your roof, which consists of a radio,
- The cable that has been run from your roof into your home
- The power supply for your radio, attached to the end of the before mentioned cable.
- The internet: if your internet is not working, we will make sure that there is an adequate signal reaching the radio on your roof.
What SBT is not responsible for:
- Your router: This is your equipment and you are responsible for its service. If your router is not functioning the internet will not be broadcast to your wireless devices.
- We will help you determine if your problem is related to the internet or your router. If you need help programming your router you can follow the instructions provided by the router manufacturer or call them. We are happy to come to your home to program your router, however, you will be charged a $30 fee. (We do not keep a record of your Wi-Fi password.)
- Your computer: If you have a virus or need maintenance done on your computer, it can make your computer and therefore your internet, slow. We are not responsible for fixing computer related problems. If you need help maintaining your computer there are a number of qualified technicians and businesses in Vernal that provide this service.
- Home Networking: We are not responsible for connecting laptops, wireless printers, tablets, phones or game consoles to the internet. These devices come with guides to walk you through the process.
Please browse our FAQs below
There are many reasons why your internet may not be working. By following these tips, you can get your internet working again as soon as possible.
Make sure your WiFi is enabled (sometimes this is a physical switch or button on your laptop).
If using a router, reboot it by unplugging the power cord for 5 seconds. We do not recommend pushing the recessed button on the back of the router as this will reset all of your settings.
Unplug the cord that leads to the radio on your roof for five seconds.
Check to ensure your account with SBT is current; we shut off accounts that are more than 2 months’ delinquent.
If these do not fix the problem, please contact us and we will be happy to get your internet working again as soon as possible.
Wireless internet service competes with DSL and cable modem service speeds. Infrastructures are designed to handle up to 300 Mbps and is a dedicated connection to the customer. This means that during peak times, the internet service is faster and more consistent. DSL services use a shared connection, and may slow down during peak times of the day. Wireless connections are also instantaneous. Their connection speeds are measured in milliseconds. This means you can use the connection to play “real time” online games.
Satellite has a latency time, or a several second delay, between sending and receiving. Wireless internet does not. While both services transmit data without the use of wires, satellite access sends and receives data through satellites orbiting around the earth. Wireless internet access uses a path of antennas between you and the internet service provider.
You will need a receiver and a bi-directional antenna placed outside your home or business. The receiver connects to your computer through an ethernet cable. Multiple computers can be hooked up using a router.
Wireless internet access is an "always on" technology. This means that you do not have to wait for your modem to dialup, just open your internet browser, and you are on the internet within seconds. You stay connected 24/7!
Wireless internet operates on the 5.8 GHz spread spectrum radio band. Although this band is unlicensed, it is becoming the standard transmission band for wireless computer products worldwide. Because it is spread spectrum, the band is difficult to detect, so it is unlikely that the antenna and receiver would pick up any stray signals. It is also unlikely that your signal would be picked up by anyone else.
The 5.8 GHz spread spectrum band has been used in the past for military communications because spread spectrum is difficult to detect or interfere with. internet providers use encryption protocols to transfer data. Wireless internet service is just as secure as its broadband competitors.
Wireless internet is predicted to be available to more homes and businesses than DSL or cable modem service in the near future. Wireless internet service implementation costs less for providers than DSL or cable modem, so it is expected that many wireless internet services will be popping up all over the world. Since there are no phone or cable line limitations with wireless access, the probability of actually getting the service is greater.
Currently, the equipment and installation cost of wireless internet is less than DSL. It can reach higher upload and download speeds. High-speed and availability make wireless internet access a viable alternative to other leading technologies.